Monday, September 27, 2010

Adventures in babysitting

This was not Luke's first time with a babysitter. This wasn't even a real babysitter. This was not a stranger or some unknown person. Luke was being watched by Pete's sister - Luke's Auntie Marci. So why was I still nervous beforehand? Pete and I went to see Chelsea Handler perform downtown. Getting the tickets seemed like a good idea when they went on sale and I ordered them almost 2 months ago. But as the day got closer I had serious misgivings. What if he pulled his crazy screaming fit after he goes to bed? What if he doesn't want to eat? What if he gets a fever? What if something terrible happens???
Earlier that day Luke and I were at a baby shower. He didn't get his normal naps in his crib. He kindofsortof napped in the car and a little bit at the shower but that's it. So then I was worried about how cranky and irritable he would be since he was off schedule. When I got home from the shower I had about 20 minutes to get ready. I needed to finish cleaning up, change out of the pants I was wearing because he threw up on me, change his pukey outfit, pump, get his pajamas ready, get his food and bottle ready and whatever other running around I needed to do. I was stressing out and tried pumping and only got less than one ounce. I was so frazzled from everything and afraid we would be late and not have time to eat before the show and Marci assured me she had a handle on everything (which I knew she did but I wanted to leave things as easy for her as possible) and I got his food ready, told her where his pajamas were and we left the house. I resisted the urge to call and check in on him. She sent us an adorable picture of him eating. We ate dinner, went to the show and called when we were on our way home. After we got home as Marci was telling us how the night went apparently Luke screamed right after we left when she was trying to feed him his cereal. And that's when it hit me - I.Never.Said.Goodbye.To.Him.Before.We.Left. I felt like the worst mom ever because in my rush to get everything ready before we left the last I had seen my little guy was when he was asleep right before I started my frenzy of running around.

I always say goodbye to him in the mornings (even if he's alseep) and always at night when he goes to bed. I don't know how I slipped up such an important thing. I am just relieved that this thought didn't occur to me when we were still out. I would have felt frantic to rush home.

So the worrying was for nothing. Luke had a great night with Auntie Marci and Uncle Scottie. And Pete and I had a nice night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment