Friday, November 5, 2010

Add another sticker to his suitcase

Luke is 7 months old but I think he’s been to more states than I visited by the time I was 10. He was born in Illinois and at 3 months rode in a plane to visit family in Virginia, at 4 months old we took an 8 hour road trip to Kentucky, at 5 months old we went to Indiana for a party (ok, I know Indiana isn’t far away, but it’s still another state!) and then at 7 months old he took another plane ride to Virginia. Yeah it’s a state he’s been to before but he is now a seasoned air traveler. We approached security like the pros we are and I even took off his baby shoes before they asked me to. When people asked if I needed help because I was traveling alone with a baby, I was able to confidently thank them and wave aside the offer as we proceeded through the airport. The trip was a breeze! He slept the entire time and when we landed I even managed to wrangle two suitcases (on wheels of course), the stroller with the car seat and the diaper bag up the ramp to curbside pickup where my mom and dad were just pulling up. The flight home was more of a headache since we were delayed due to crazy 50 mile per hour winds. Luke’s schedule was off, his ears hurt, he finished his bottle and the flight attendants had to be seated because the turbulence was so bad so I couldn’t get water for another bottle for him. He fussed and whined and clung to me – even though I had a perfectly good carseat for him to sit in next to me. The turbulence was terrible and I was glad to have him to hold onto as I furiously rocked him trying to hide the plane’s instability within the comforting arms of his mama. I was so glad when we landed.

We had a great trip and visited the Shenandoah mountains, had a sleepover with my nieces, visited my grandmother, had a family dinner, went to see my niece dance at her school’s football halftime show and the trip was over way too soon. When I planned the trip it seemed like we would be there so long and it was really over before I was ready. It was good to come home and of course Luke and I missed Pete. It was a bitter sweet trip because as much as I love my home and where I live and my friends and family here, it’s tough having my family so far away. I loved seeing my mom playing on the floor with Luke and making him laugh and giggle. I know my brother, sister-in-law and nieces would be visiting and be a part of Luke’s day to day (or week to week) life – similar to how I was a part of my nieces’ lives when I lived in Virginia. I know Luke will still be close to them but it will need to be different. There will be some family vacations so he can get to know them. I hope my parents will continue to come visit him – especially as he’s younger because he really does change so quickly. I can’t wait for my parents to come visit at Christmas – even though I know it will be more memorable for me and my parents than it will be for Luke. When Luke gets older I can see him spending a week or two in Virginia hanging out with my family. We’ll set up our Skype account and do web chats. I will continue to post Luke videos on You Tube so those who are interested can watch him grow.

I think the next states Luke will visit will probably be part of a road trip to North Carolina this summer. I can’t wait for Luke to visit the Outer Banks!

No comments:

Post a Comment