Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Operation Sleep

I feel like the last year my mind has been obsessed with sleep. I used a Facebook app to show the most used words in my status updates and some of the top words were Sleep, Night and Morning. Once again I had another status update today about sleep - or lack of sleep. First off I had insomnia. It may just be a coincidence or maybe I set myself up for sleep failure by watching the movie Insomnia (with Robert DeNiro and Robin Williams) which was a pretty good movie. I was a little stressed/ preoccupied about things so I think that's the main culprit for my insomnia but the preventable cause of my insomnia is the baby monitor. I think I need to make the executive decision and change the settings on the baby monitor. When Luke was born I raved about my baby monitor - the best baby monitor in the world. It's a monitor AND a SIDS detection thing. There's a sensor that goes under the mattress and if it senses nonmovement a quick alarm goes off and if there is continued nonmovement (as in lack of breathing) a big scary alarm goes off. It was great because as a new mom I worried about him breathing and feared something could happen to him. Having my monitor prevented me from sneaking into his room to hear him breathe because I just had to look at my monitor and if the little pendulum graphic was moving, I knew he was breathing. Well, last night the alarm kept going off. I snuck in his room twice to move him. He was squeezed into a corner with his blanket both times. The first time he heard me and moved himself but the second time I had to move him and he promptly moved right back to where he was. The rational, logical side of me KNOWS that he is old enough to be past any SIDS related incidents. Since he is able to stand up in his crib, surely if he had an issue breathing, he would be able to move his head away from the blanket or bumper pad (even though it's a breathable bumper, it still worries me). But don't try to tell a mom that when the alarm goes off at 3:00 am. I think I should just turn off the SIDS monitor portion of the alarm. But I am so comforted by that dang pendulum swinging which reassures me that he's breathing.
Turning off the alarm may have the opposite effect and give me more insomnia from worrying if he's breathing.

Oh, what's a neurotic mama to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment