Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Doctor's appointment

So I had my doctor's appointment today and met another doctor in the practice. So far I love every doctor and nurse I have met at this practice. What a big difference from the doctors I dealt with last time. At these early appointments there isn't too much to discuss each month and the appointments are pretty quick. They consist of weight, blood pressure, listening to the baby's heartbeat, measuring my belly and answering any questions. My bp was normal, baby heartbeat normal at 140, fundal right on target 23 centimeters at 23 weeks. Unfortunately I've gained a little more weight than I'd like. 18 pounds since becoming pregnant! And since the belly size is on target, it confirms my suspicions that all of my excess weight has moved to my thighs and my butt.
The doctor said not to diet but to keep an eye on sweets and maybe address my carb cravings, which are very common for pregnant women (and I've always had even before being pregnant). She said if I replace a carb serving with a vegetable, I should be fine. She said not to be concerned but that the majority of baby weight usually comes in the third trimester when the baby is growing the most. And I'm not quite at the third trimester and I have more weight to gain!
We also discussed the sleep thing (or lack of sleep) and leg cramps. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like much can be done about either. I talked to her about my doppler monitor and she warned me not to use the doppler to replace concerns if the baby isn't moving. Now that Banjo is moving around, I should feel him kick every day and if I don't feel him kicking, hearing his heartbeat is not a replacement for calling the doctor. She explained some women missed issues that should have been addressed by relying on the doppler.
So, overall, a very good appointment. My next appointment at the end of the month will have the glucose screening test. Hopefully I will have decreased my sweet tooth so that my sugar isn't an issue.

3 comments:

  1. Your docs seem really knowledgeable! Hooray fr Banjo being on target, grow little Banjo, grow!
    Carb cravings are so hard to ignore. Do you like baby carrots? Sometimes they help because they are a little sweet, and satisfy my urge to crunch, but they're healthy, too. I like apples for that, and grapes, and clementine oranges too. Hmmm...now I'm hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fruit and am iffy on some vegetables. The doc told me not to replace a carb with a fruit because there's so much sugar in fruit. My problem is when I'm told I shouldn't have something, it makes me want it even more. So I was feeling I hate ALL veggies. Bleh. But my friend reminded me that there are good veggies that can be tasty. She told me about this recipe of sliced zucchini with a tomato and mozzarella (fat free) on top and bake in the oven. That's a veggie snack I can handle! I like carrots, corn, pea pods, asparagus...but not much else. I HATE broccoli and cauliflower. I'm sure I'll find a way to eat healthier with veggies. I was doing so well when I first found out I was pregnant, then I had nausea and had a hard time eating anything. Once the nausea went away, I celebrated by eating...a little too much of everything. I need to get back to my healthy eating. (of course I started this by having pizza last night - but it was with sun dried tomatoes and artichoke instead of bacon and olives)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the low-carb snacks I like are popcorn (without butter or I'll use spray margarine on it myself, but the butter in microwave popcorn is bad for you), low-fat crackers with a little bit of natural peanut butter (there's no sugar added to that), apple slices with PB (I know apples have carbs but they are low in carbs compared to cookies and candy and even other kinds of fruits, and can satisfy a craving, they are like 35 calories each). They also sell low-carb granola bars, like South Beach Diet or Atkins brand (some taste better than others) but they are low in carbs and can satisfy a craving too.
    I'm like you - if I'm told I can't have something, I want it more.

    ReplyDelete