Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Good stuff


First off, the belly belt is AMAZING! I highly recommend it to every pregnant woman out there. It’s relieved a lot of the pressure and helped with some lower back pain. G is a goddess for lending me hers because I may have procrastinated longer and thought I didn’t need it. I feel a bit like I'm wearing a weird harness but it provides great support and is helping immensely!

Staying off my feet last night helped the pelvic joint pain but it’s not really getting better. Basically, it hurts when I walk and hurts a lot when I walk the stairs and this is getting worse – not better. After lying on the couch with my feet up after taking some Tylenol last night I didn’t have any pain. I sent an email to my doctor because the pain may be worse because I’m double jointed (hypermobility) so I’m waiting to see if there is something he recommends. I’ve been doing everything else they (the internet) recommend for this type of pain with no relief yet. I’m still snap crackle and popping when I walk.

On the plus side…no Braxton Hicks contractions, so Yay!

I am trying to reprioritize on things that I’d like to get done vs. what must get done and also place more realistic time frames on the things that must get done. As I have been reminded by a very wise friend, the nursery does not need to be done any time soon because even after the baby comes home, he’ll be sleeping in my room in a co-sleeper thing. And from what I’ve heard, babies aren’t very judgmental on the interior design of their rooms so I think I have several more weeks until he gains his sense of style.

One of my goals in the next day is to make a list and try to a) assign realistic dates of when those things could/should be done and b) assign things on that list to people who have volunteered to help out.

So, yay on trying to be positive about things and boo on still being in pain. But let’s end this post on a positive note…

I will be having a baby in about 12 weeks….less than 100 days!

4 comments:

  1. Get a pregnancy massage- it may help with the pain. Some insurance policies will even cover it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin,

    It sounds like your sacro-iliac (SI) joint is unstable. A good physical therapist can put it back in place. The pregancy belly belt you are using is similar to an SI belt, which holds this joint in its proper position.

    With the SI joint "out", walking and sitting can put a lot of pressure on your pelvic joints and the pain can radiate all around the lower back, the butt, down the front of the leg and groin area. It's not fun!

    I have hypermobility as well and was diagnosed with ehlers-danlos syndrome a few years ago. The Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation (free registration for the basics) has lots of info on this genetic disorder. Unless one has a very rare form of EDS, there seem to be few to no problems with pregnancy/delivery in women with EDS.

    For a while, I followed the blog of a woman who was chronicaling her pregancy and had hypermobility. Here's her site: http://mumprime.blogspot.com

    Keeping strong and not over-stretching your joints is the best thing you can do for your hypermobile body - regardless of having EDS or not. :)

    Let me know if you have any questions about EDS , if it's something you connect with, and I'll be happy to refer you to other moms.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The belly belt seems cool! Glad it's helping! Hard to believe it's less than 100 days away - that's too exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a pregnancy massage scheduled for Saturday the 16th! I hope that helps (I'm sure it can't hurt!)

    Elise, thanks so much for your comment. I don't know if I've written about it or not but my dad has Ehlers Danlos so I found your information very helpful and encouraging! I like your blog and I'm going to refer him to read it as well.

    ReplyDelete