Monday, January 25, 2010

Rambling randomness

I haven’t posted anything in awhile but I’m trying to get better. I’ve been a little distracted by the joint pain and didn’t really want to write another whiny blog post about how I hurt. But, hey, unfortunately the pain is what’s consuming my thoughts lately, so here’s an update. I worked from home on Thursday and was super productive on a big project I’m working on. I was also busy with work on Friday and part of Saturday. When I worked from home it felt so good because I was at my desk all day (except for potty breaks) without having to walk steps, take the train, walk outside, etc. I experienced the least amount of pain I’ve felt in awhile. I took it easy after work on Friday but the pain was back from the minimal walking I did. On Saturday I did some puttering and cleaning around the house and worked on the closet with Pete watching him hang new shelves and I started putting my clothes in my fabulous new closet. I’ll post pictures when it’s done but it’s so freakin awesome so far. We went to our favorite local Mexican place for a late dinner but even though it was late, we still had to wait for a table. We stood by the bar and I don’t know if it was from leaning weird on the bar (about 15-20 minutes) or the earlier work I was doing in my closet but by the time we left the restaurant, I could barely stand or walk. Poor Pete had to help support me and walk me to the car. He offered to carry me but was worried he’s drop me. I preferred to hobble along. Each step was excruciating and when we got home Pete had to help me take off my shoes and get dressed. I laid on the couch with a heating pad propped up with pillows and after taking some Tylenol I finally started to feel a little relief. Usually when I’m sitting or lying down, the pain stops but this time it was still throbbing. I fell asleep on the couch and when I got up and hobbled to go to bed I then realized that I couldn’t sleep in bed. The pain came back when I tried sleeping on my side. I must have tried every possible position to get comfortable for over an hour. I don’t know when but I finally fell asleep. Sunday was a lot better. I was worried I would continue to be in that terrible pain but I guess the whole staying off my feet and resting really did do the trick to make the pain tolerable. On Sunday I went to see the play Mama Mia and there was some walking from the car to our seats but I took it slow and it wasn’t too bad. I was uncomfortable watching the play because Banjo kept repositioning and kicking around my ribs. It was a great play though and I’m so glad we went. I’m a little worried because I was uncomfortable sitting through the play when I was 30 weeks pregnant and I have opera tickets on March 5 when I’ll be 36 weeks pregnant. I wonder if it’s acceptable to wear sweatpants and bring a pillow to the opera.

It’s interesting how efficient you become when your motion is limited. On one trip to the kitchen for a glass of milk I will bring take the recycled mail, empty the trash can from the living room, bring my dirty plate, stop by the bathroom, wipe down the counter, refill the pets’ water dish… Normally I would make about 7 trips and get half those things done. I guess walking slowly lets me take in more things that need to be done on my way to wherever it is I’m going.

I’m at work today and I thought I was wearing such a cute outfit – some leggings with a short dress type thing and a cardigan and boots. Well, the top is almost like a t-shirt material and I noticed you can see my belly button poke against the material! Gross! I didn’t notice it at home. I guess I will wear a tank top underneath any other shirts of that same material. Or maybe put a big band-aid on my belly button.

I have an odd mix of the third trimester sleepies and nesting. When I am awake I feel like I’m constantly thinking of what else I need to do. I’m not panicking about it – just planning. And then in the middle of imagining what the nursery will look like while I’m half watching something on tv, poof – I’m out. Asleep on the couch with no warning. I admit to falling asleep on the couch before I got pregnant but that was usually around 11:30 or midnight. During the first trimester I’d conk out at about 8:30 or 9:30. During the second trimester I could actually stay up and watch the Daily Show and Colbert (until 11:00!) but now I’m lucky if I’m up until 10:00. Oh well, I may as well get my sleep while I can.

Through the sleepiness and the pain, things are still getting done. Partly because of better planning on my part and partly due to an amazing husband who has been doing laundry and taking out trash and walking the dog and going grocery shopping and doing new projects like organizing furniture in the baby’s room and picking out paint colors and putting together shelves for my dream closet. I can’t imagine being pregnant without his help and support. He has made me about 5 bajillion grilled cheese sandwiches and brings me milk/water/Tylenol/whatever I need from the kitchen while I’m propped on the couch.

I have my doctor’s appointment and also physical therapy on Tuesday. I hope both go well. As usual, I’m nervous/curious about how much weight I’ve gained and I hope this physical therapy appointment is less painful than last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment