Thursday, October 15, 2009

Can you hear me now?

Starting this Saturday, I will be 16 weeks pregnant. I’ve read that Banjo’s ears should be pretty well developed and now is a great time to start talking to, singing to, reading to the baby. It’s also probably a good time to decrease any swear words so Banjo isn’t born thinking it’s Talk Like a Pirate Day and cursing up a storm. (but wouldn’t it be cool to have a Pirate Baby? Arrrrgh!) Pete already talks to Banjo and says “Hello” and “Goodnight” and now he can have a whole conversation with Banjo. I’m sure Banjo would love to hear about his coin collection. And I can tell Banjo all about the books I’m reading (Will Banjo love Sookie Stackhouse novels?)

I’m sure we’ll want Banjo to be well-versed in all types of music (not just alt-folk or techno). Should we put my big headphones on the belly and play music? I think it’ll be more entertaining to do that once I can feel the baby move and the kicks could be a sign of whether the music is liked or not.

I have a great book that Georgia got me – a version of “The Places You’ll Go” by Dr. Seuss to be read to the baby in utero. I think I can also read some poems and stories and maybe News of the Weird. Banjo may love to hear the best Fark headlines.

I read that it is reassuring to talk to the baby and that the baby will recognize your voice after being born. I don’t see how that’s at all possible – unless I always talk to the baby with a blanket at my mouth so it sounds all muffled and garbled after the baby’s born. Oh well, I like feeling close to my baby and whether Banjo can really hear me or not, I think it’ll be fun to talk to my little baby.

By the way, how do doctors know that babies can hear at 16 weeks? How could they hook them up to that machine I remember from grade school where you wore the headphones and raised a hand depending on which ear you heard the sound?

1 comment:

  1. Before my nephew was born my sister-in-law played lots of kids music for him in her belly. And now he's 10 years old and listens to, like, the loudest, screamiest thrash metal ever. Music that makes Pantera and Propain sound like pussies. Neither she nor my brother listen to that kind of music, we have no idea how he got into it! But he sure rocks out.
    (My niece is all about Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga. Ack.)

    I'd prolly be talking to a baby from the moment I knew I was pregnant, whether baby could hear it or not. It would just be so cool. But knowing Banjo can hear you just makes it more fun. You can talk on and on and Banjo can't talk back, or argue, or interrupt! (If only I had such an audience!)

    ReplyDelete