Saturday, October 17, 2009

Prental Yoga

I am loving my prenatal yoga classes. The first session ended today but another one starts in 2 weeks and it is really great to get these core breathing and stretching foundations. Today I had the greatest bonus in class because I felt Banjo move for the first time!!! No kicks or anything - too small for that but I felt the fluttering. It felt like little bubbles and also kind of like that tingling feeling when your hand falls asleep and it's tingling as it comes back to normal. Of course, I had this feeling in my uterus, not my hand. :) It was very exciting and I got a little teary eyed when I realized what it was. I felt it a few different times. Once when we were sitting and relaxed with our hands on our bellies. Also felt it when we were sitting with our legs out doing some stretches. Wow. I guess Banjo likes yoga. I'm going to keep going to the classes. They're only $55 and they're through the park district so it works out to less than $10 per class. Can't beta that!

Our instructor is amazing. She is open to anyone's birth plan and supportive of everyone's decision. I was worried it would be focused only on home births and midwives but she seems to have a story for every type of birth plan. Personally she seems to favor the natural method of giving birth without an epidural but she stresses that it's a preference for whatever each woman is comfortable with. I don't think I'm strong enough to do it naturally. I'd like to wait and take the epidural as late as possible as long as nothing is stressful to the baby. There are many benefits to giving birth naturally, as well as with the epidural. She also volunteered to be a doula for free to anyone who's interested. This is something I may think about but want to discuss with Pete further. Basically the doula is there wherever you're giving birth to make sure your needs are being met and you're as comfortable as possible. It takes a lot of pressure off of the husband because he may not know the best ways to make you comfortable and relaxed during labor. I'm sure the doula does other things as well and I want to read up on it in more detail. Has anyone had any experiences with using a doula or a friend who's used one? I'd love to hear any stories on the pros and cons of using a doula.

I'm a little bit light headed (haven't eaten enough this morning) so I'm off to make a peanut butter and banana sandwich as a snack.

6 comments:

  1. How exciting that you felt Banjo move! I didn't feel Liliana for sooo long. It is a wonderful thing. I love reading our blog- brings back so many memories. You are very much like me in the way you are so into your pregnancy-it will make for a beautiful experience for you. Hope to join you at prenatal classes this winter- fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. by "our" blog, I mean "your" blog- geez look at me trying to take credit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi kristen,
    cute blog. Jen, my partner, did prenatal yoga and LOVED it. We used a midwife, but most of the women in that class didn't (and didn't deliver at home either)

    I just wanted to congratulate you on your banjo. Cute name, by the way.

    I'm going to follow your blog. Feel free to check mine out too.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, Leigh, you can take some credit for the blog. I don't care. It's weird because a lot of the time I feel like I'm writing into a black hole and not really thinking about people reading it. So it's so cool to see that people are reading it.
    :)

    Sarah, great to see you're reading it too. I didn't know you had a blog and I would love to read it. Thanks for the congrats. We'll probably be seeing you soon so Samson can get a refresher focus class if you're still teaching them, Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for feeling Banjo move! That is so exciting. :) Swim, little Banjo, swim!
    I knew like 5 people who were/are doulas, and like 5 more who used doulas, and all reported great experiences. If I were having a baby I wouldn't do it WITHOUT one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy, Thanks for the comment. Great to see people are reading!

    ReplyDelete