Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ok, the hormones seem a little more normal now. Wanted to kill people earlier today (multiple people for different reasons but all very justified). Maybe now that I'm nice and full from lunch I am less stabby.

I am concerned that I'm still not feeling any kicks. I'm almost 21 weeks and nothing. Last night I had cramping so I pulled out the doppler monitor and had Pete find the heartbeat (he can find that thing so fast - he's a master). So we're listening to it and then moving the doppler around and then there's a different sound. And the doppler screen is actually working. It's gauging at 155 (which is what it always is in the doctor's office) instead of the too hard to pinpoint on the screen rate that jumps from 95 to 185. This "new" heartbeat was much faster and stronger than what we were listening to before. So Pete was appropriately freaked out and thought "oh no! TWINS" then we convinced ourselves that the slower sound we heard may have been an echo of something else (maybe my spleen or liver ha ha). We also tossed around the idea that the stronger heart rate was because Banjo was awake and moving around instead of sleeping. What's odd is that in the span of about 5 minutes, we heard the fast heartbeat and the slower heartbeat. I don't see any possible way after my last ultrasound that there was another baby hiding in there (I had an internal and external ultrasound). I also don't feel I'm big enough for twins. Well, we'll know in a week I guess. In the meantime, hey baby (or babies) please give me a kick or two so I know you're in there and ok.

On unrelated news, there was a health crisis in our office this morning because a coworker came into work with an active case of shingles. I already had chicken pox so I'm not at risk of getting chicken pox again. And from what I've read you don't get shingles from someone who has shingles but someone has shingles can give you chicken pox. The bad part about this is that his shingles are open lesions on his face that haven't scabbed over yet. So people in the office were understandably upset, particularly a few employees who never had chicken pox. I'm not freaking out about it too much(because enough coworkers already freaked out for me)and since I sit near him I moved my laptop to another cubicle farther away - just in case. He has since gone home and won't be in for the rest of the week. Am I under-reacting to this? Should I be more worried? Everything I read said that chicken pox is spread through the air but that shingles is only passed by contact. Well, I didn't go anywhere near him and I've been washing my hands more than normal and using hand sanitizer. Also had Lysol sprayed around my cube, his cube and the surrounding area. I think I'm safe. Does anyone have any knowledge of if and how dangerous my limited exposure is?

On to happier news, my skin has finally cleared up (knock on wood) and my hair is getting thicker again. These hormone things are wacked!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know anything about shingles but it sounds like you did the right things.

    I'm sure you'll be okay. I wonder why they let him in to work? That seems like a bad idea on their part.

    ReplyDelete